Thursday, April 10, 2008

Midnight Blackberry Mayhem


Since my last post, I’ve been hitting the books hard. The work here comes in big, tsunami-like waves. The kinds of waves that make you fear for your health and social standing. Thankfully, last night was the end of work; I spent this morning catching a different kind of wave at St. Clair Beach.

The local surf break is just a 10-minute drive from my house. Today was an “epic sesh’ at the break; the swells were pumpin’ cleanliness,” and I managed to stand up on my first wave despite “dropping the falls and getting cycled” a few times. As you can see, I've befriended the local surfer population and assimilated seamlessly. I invested in a used board and wet suit weeks ago - worth every penny.

Other highlights include, well, highlights. "Highlights," are headlights you strap to your helmet for thrilling midnight mountain bike rides in Bethunes Gully and Forrester Park. I’ve been biking with the Otago Cycling Club for two weeks now. The Kiwi’s have a fondness for steep climbs and brake-free downhills on curvaceous trails that skirt bottomless abysses of rain forrest. Interestingly, chain gangs from local prisons build many of New Zealand's walking and biking trails.

Derek, a portly, cynical, and hilarious local, demonstrated the Kiwi love of freefall on Wednesday. I had dismounted and turned off my headlight to enjoy a deep and silent darkness below the aptly named “Slippery Slope Of Death.” I watched Derek’s headlight emerge atop the Slope as a gleaming point. The light descended rapidly, followed by the sounds of brakes locking and tires sliding, then the headlight flipped multiple times through the darkness until it came to a sudden stop meters below. “Mates, I’ve got blackberries stabbing my manberries!!”

I also rode a motor scooter, placed 10th in a duathlon, and went on a fishing boat to investigate mud. Those stories, however, I have deemed unworthy of your bandwidth. I did post some pictures though...

I’m off to enjoy a hearty bowl of soup cooked with love and care and instant ingredients by Annabelle, my Kiwi flatmate. She has blazing red hair and relentless spunk. 

No comments:

Post a Comment