Thursday, September 9, 2010

Flow Like Whoa

















I thought I might post these two flow diagrams. They detail the pathways of water through some auxiliary systems attached to Husavik's power plant. I made these diagrams for Recurrent Engineering to help with their due diligence work as they plan to buy the plant, refurbish it, and sell it back to the town.


















The first schematic shows where the power plant's cooling water goes. The water either flows to a fish farm (supplying warm fresh water for the fishies) or to a "hot pond." If a "hot pond" sounds menacing, just take a look at the photo above - it's about 15 degrees C, lush, and great for swimming. The power plant's dump site is basically a small manmade lake, and has developed into a cute little park. Seriously unlike the effluent from some other industrial processes, aye?.

















The second schematic diagrams a system designed to garner additional BTUs from a nearby recycling/trash facility that sometimes burns rubbish and can reheat water for the power plant. Eventually this hot water flows to the town's district heating system.

So yesterday I bathed in the power plant's cooling effluent and showered in its fuel source. Did I mention the healthy minerals in the geothermal waters? My skin feels great! This is a power technology I can really endorse.

No comments:

Post a Comment