Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Educating Hank Johnson

I've started writing an introduction for this post several times, but I've failed to adequately express myself each time. There is simply no way to introduce this. Just watch:

U.S. Congressman Hank Johnson

I honestly can't come up with the words to describe how I feel. Disappointed? Outraged? Plain curious about who voted for someone so unqualified...

This guy makes critical decisions for our nation. Congress, what the hell? You deserve that 12% approval rating.

Hank couldn't distinguish a watt from a joule, yet I'm sure he's voted for or against important legislation on energy policy. Just watch him throw out buzz words like "environmental" and "global warming" without even the faintest sense of their relevance to the situation. When pressed, he could tell you that global warming is "very serious," but could not tell you about the research that informs that seriousness, or the debate circulating around that research.

Congress has five engineers and 225 lawyers. Good luck. I've come to believe that some of our leaders (mirrored by parts of our population) lack the information fundamental to considering complex technical issues like reforming an energy system. Should we reform it? If so, how? I sit here imagining the a long string of baseless buzz words that might flood some senator's mind.

Hank's firm grasp of geology suggests that he could not possibly understand an issue like fossil fuel resource scarcity. Guam capsizing? Are you serious? I have to do something about this. People need to understand some fundamentals before they start arguing about policy...

Of course I could be misreading this whole thing. Hank could have the driest sense of humor ever, and Guam tipping could be his hilarious joke. Does this Georgian Democrat command hyperbole and sarcasm so deftly that I completely missed the punch line? Is my reaction a misunderstanding? Which is more dangerous, a powerful idiot or a powerful misunderstanding?

YouTube Hank a little more and his amazing sense of humor (and grasp of reality) begin to materialize:
Hank Discusses a Peer

No comments:

Post a Comment